about me: a cat named Fabio Michele Russo
Thanks for visiting my small corner of the web. ☺️
I’m a MSc student of data science with a bachelor’s in economics, a thesis in econometrics and work experience in web design and journalism. I love theatre, dance, rpgs, technology and nonfiction. I’m Italian and an activist in consensual non monogamies. He/him.
I have a very newfound love of pen and paper. As much as I am a technology enthusiast, I feel some nostalgia for keeping a paper diary and writing letters, which I love to do both.
I mainly write to learn. I found that writing for me is not a straightforward experience, particularly longer pieces, and yet it’s an experience I love. When I do write I often start reading, watching, listening. And after I publish on here, I love reading feedback of all kinds. The posts I’m most proud of are the ones that generated the most interesting discussions.
what I love
- Dance (in theatre, particularly contemporary dance with an eye to original or innovative pieces with interesting choreographies, music and performers. On YouTube I like the Nederlands Dans Theater or the popular choreographer Travis Wall)
- Politics and activism (lgbtqia+ rights, intersectional feminism, data feminism, work, homing, economic and ecological reform)
- Statistics, econometrics, data science and data science for society
- Design, especially user experience design
- Pens, paper, techos and other analogue tools
- Steam Deck gaming when bored ☺️
a few things I wrote
Coming out as social scientists and admitting that AI poses risks shouldn’t be taboo. Risks are real. Personally, more than scenarios a-la-machines in the Matrix, I’m most worried about AI perpetrating historical unfairness and AI applying decision methods incomprehensible to people. We’re working to avoid that. And I would in fact like a wide agreement by AI practicioners to engage in trustworthy applications and research.
More to come soon!
You can contact me or comment my thoughts by:
- finding me on micro.blog (requires signup),
- commenting on your own space about one of my posts (usually requires a blog),
- or by emailing me. I (still) love email.
I’m not a big fan of centralized social networks. I’m on Facebook and LinkedIn but purely for professional reasons, and on Insta because I watch dance. I much prefer to interact via the open web through the avenues above!
tech I use
- MacBook Air, 15", M2, 2023
- Communication: Telegram, iMessage
- Organization: Things, Obsidian
- Coding: vscode, Nova, GitHub Desktop
- Programming: a whole lot of libraries, although it’s all Python.
about this website
This blog supports in its entirety webmentions. By webmentioning any post from your own blog (usually, a link to a post should suffice, but depends on the implementation) your words will appear as a comment to the relevant post on this website, and I can reply in the same fashion!
The best support I could ask for is feedback for what I write! However - should you wish to buy me a cold milk cappuccino, or some ink for my pen,
Enjoy the rest of your day. 🐱